CO-PRODUCTIONS. The DFI can support 5-9 minor co-productions in feature films per year. Read how to apply for funding and find terms, application deadlines and contact information.
Funding for danish films
The Danish Film Institute (DFI) supports the production of 20-25 feature films and 25-30 documentary and short films a year. Funds are awarded through three different schemes: the Film Commissioner Scheme, the Market Scheme and the New Danish Screen talent development scheme.
News from the DFI
Danish talent development sows inspiration abroad
19. jun 2019 | TALENT DEVELOPMENT. 'Danes Do It Better!' is the title of a special programme at Neuchâtel Fantastic Film Festival about Danish inventiveness and the talent programme New Danish Screen. Former DFI producer Johnny
Mads Mikkelsen in Thomas Vinterberg's next feature
12. jun 2019 | IN PRODUCTION. Mads Mikkelsen returns to Danish film playing the lead in Thomas Vinterberg's upcoming drama about a group of friends embarking on an experiment to prove that modest intoxication opens our minds to
Danish animation strikes again in Annecy
06. jun 2019 | ANIMATION. The Danish presence at the Annecy Festival and its influential MIFA market has been growing in recent years, the 2019 edition being no exception. In competition is 'Checkered Ninja', a runaway
Afghan-Danish duo returns to Directors' Fortnight
14. may 2019 | INTERVIEW. Director Shahrbanoo Sadat and producer Katja Adomeit will premiere their third collaboration, 'The Orphanage', in Directors' Fortnight in Cannes. Set in Kabul during the pro-Soviet government, the
Faroese Andrias Høgenni: "Every culture has the right to its own stories"
13. may 2019 | INTERVIEW. Andrias Høgenni has learnt to trust his basic instincts while working on his graduation film 'Ikki illa meint' about two Faroese girlfriends’ awkward reunion. The director, who grew up in the Faroe
Ole Bornedal preparing World War II drama
10. may 2019 | UPCOMING FILM. Funding is almost secured for Ole Bornedal’s high-budget historical drama, ‘Shadows In My Eyes’, about the bombing of the Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen in 1945. Shooting is scheduled to start
Peter Hjorth: Effects are for communicating a vision
10. may 2019 | Cannes 2019. VFX supervisor Peter Hjorth can create any kind of effect on the computer. But he would much rather be on set, mixing the perfect slime to make asphalt look authentic. The Danish special effects
Greenland films to be digitised
07. may 2019 | DIGITISATION. A new grant will enable even more historical films about Greenland and Arctic region to be digitised – films with the potential to broaden our perspective on climate changes and geopolitics.
Facts & Figures 2019 available
06. may 2019 | PUBLICATION. 2018 presented a high market share for Danish films, ranking Denmark fourth among European nations. Find these numbers and more on film production and distribution in Denmark in our latest edition
Competing with the whole world
30. apr 2019 | INTERVIEW. Producer Nina Bisgaard, who was behind last year’s Un Certain Regard winner 'Border', is back in Cannes as Danish Producer on the Move. At SAM Productions, Bisgaard is in charge of financing for TV